Tuesday, 9 March 2010

YfL3: Txtspk

This week I was old and grumpy. Also, I'd like it to be known that the bizarre grammar of the last line of the print edition was my own fault entirely.
An edited version of this appeared in yesterday's EdEx.


****************************************************

Txtspk: A form of speech used mostly in the communication of text messages via mobile phone or sometimes Email or online chat. (UrbanDictionary.com)


I am not a pedant. I like to think of myself as a reasonably liberal-minded person where language is concerned. As fond of the English language as I am, it's hard to be a purist about a language of which James Nicoll has said “We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary”. Standardised spelling is a comparatively recent development in the history of the language, and I'm only really fussy about grammar when the lack of it obscures meaning. No one need worry about confusing “who” with “whom” or “will” with “shall” in my presence, and I will even be tactful enough not to point out that you should have said “Arun and I” instead of “Arun and me”.

In addition, I have even embraced the language of Lolcat. For those of you unfortunate enough to have missed out on this phenomenon, I refer to an internet trend of adding funny captions to pictures of cats (see http://www.icanhascheezburger.com for examples). These captions have evolved their own grammar and patterns of spelling and I am quite prepared, delighted even, to go along with them.

Yet if there is one thing guaranteed to make me sound like the curmudgeonliest of language purists, it is txtspk.

I realise that txtspk is born of necessity. No one wants to have to send multiple SMSes unnecessarily, and it's only natural that people should try to cut down on the number of characters they use in a word. I have no real quibble with abbreviations like “l8r” or “b4”. I think they look unattractive, but they get the job done – that is how “later” and “before” sound. I'm less tolerant towards the type of txtspk that consists of removing all the vowels. Disemvowelling your words may help you to send longer messages, but since the person who received them is left with the daunting task of trying to work out what you're trying to say, it could hardly be called efficient.

But the specific form of txtspk that sets my teeth on edge? Substituting “d” for “th”. L8r and B4 both reflect the way the words are pronounced, but I've never heard someone ask “what is dis?” or “who did dat?”, much less “where is da coffee?”. Unfortunately, when someone I know sends me such a message I find myself wondering if they do actually talk that way. And then I imagine them doing so, and I'm never quite able to get that out of my head. I'm sure there are accents that allow for this particular substitution of consonants, and I'm sure they sound charming. But with the average urban Indian accent to talk of dis, dat and de oder? No.

****************************************************

10 comments:

Raj said...

My cousin found me on Orkut and we exchanged messages few times. Very soon, I stopped it simply because it was getting too complicated. I hd 2 spnd 2mch enrgy. Now I just pick up the phone and call her. :D

Celine said...

You've lived in Dublin and you'v never heard anyone say 'what is dis?'
Aishwarya - I don't believe you!

Sorcerer said...

dis is nyc
:)
u zd it

Fëanor said...

You gotta get reggae, Aishwarya. It's all about 'ca dis ya one, ca dis ya rubadub style, all de while' and so on. Very jiggy wid it, to mix metaphors.

KT said...

"Disemvowelling" -- excellent :D

I share your rage on the textspeak front, though I imagine certain American accents would substitute a "d" for a "th" at least occasionally. Especially if said American has a terrible head cold ;)

the wannabe indian punkster said...

Why dnt u lik dis knd of tlk? Wht is yr prblm?

Okay, I'll stop now.

Aishwarya said...

Groan. I was practically asking for a bunch of incomprehensible txtspk comments, wasn't I? Raj, Sorcerer, Punkster, you should all be ashamed of yourselves.

Celine - I've heard "th" substituted for "t" quite a bit - which I think sounds rather nice with the accent. Maybe I've been subconsciously blocking it out?

Fëanor - I'm a little afraid of you now...yo.

KT - "Disemvowelling" is sadly not mine, though I'd love to be able to take the credit for it. I've seen it used on various blogs - I think on CrookedTimber the mods are able to remove all vowels from trollish comments. I sometimes dream of such power.

Salil said...

Another example of the dis-dat phenomenon is my pet peeve - the use of 'ma' instead of 'my'.

Aishwarya said...

Salil - *wince*. "ma" or "mah" are awful - and completely inexcusable, since they're not actually reducing the number of letters in any way!

Salil said...

The reasoning for 'ma' instead of 'my' in a text message was that the former needs 2 key presses and the latter needs 4. On a QWERTY keyboard, it just doesnt make sense.