Tuesday, 9 March 2010

Miéville in India links

As most of the people who read this blog already know, China Miéville was in India last week (I think he's here for most of this as well) as part of the British Council's LitSutra programme. I've been enjoying the Litsutra blog over the last couple of days - it turns out that the people organizing this thing are also pretty good writers. Krish Raghav has a piece up on the Mint books blog about the Delhi event with Samit Basu. There was also an event at JNU the next day - unfortunately the people at JNU seemed to think they'd be getting a reading from Kraken and an interactive session, while the author had been told he was supposed to be giving them an academic paper. It all resolved itself quite happily; the reading was excellent (though some of us had heard it the night before) and the discussion of SF that followed was reasonably academic - I may refer back to it soon when I read Adam Roberts' Yellow Blue Tibia.

For me, though, the highlights of the whole thing were discovering that Miéville had read this blog (he recognised said nice things, I stood and looked horrified and wondered if I'd ever written anything here that I'd be embarrassed to say to his face) and, possibly more significantly, confirming for myself that he really was a Samuel Beckett person. For various reasons this was very important.

Incidentally, judging by the chapter I heard read out twice, Kraken is going to be brilliant.

2 comments:

roswitha said...

Your opinion on Yellow Blue Tibia is express-solicited once you have read the book. I need confirmation of its superbness before I invest in it.

Aishwarya said...

I've had it on my desk for a few days now, but it's waiting for me to finish Skippy Dies. I am expecting it to be fantastic and joysome, but there's also this review by Catherynne Valente that is rather good and about stuff I might not notice otherwise.