Saturday, 20 February 2010

In which I come from the future

Reading N.K Jemisin's The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms (about which more later, but it's brilliant and you should read it) I was very pleased to find an extract from another book that is soon to be published by Orbit, Celine Kiernan's The Poison Throne, at the back. I was also very amused, because the book was first published in Ireland a couple of years ago. I read it last summer (though I never reviewed it I did talk about one aspect of it here - beware spoilers) and talked a bit about its sequel, The Crowded Shadows, here. I'm really glad that Orbit are getting the book to a wider audience, and that it's getting this publicity - it's a book I genuinely like (and since I published that first blog post I've exchanged enough emails and blog comments with the author that I'm glad for her sake too). It's just that, having spent most of my life in a country where most books and movies are released much later than the rest of the world, it's a little bewildering to find people anticipating part one of a trilogy while I am desperately waiting for part three.

4 comments:

Celine said...

Thank you so much, Aishwarya! It's very exciting.!

( I have always been fantastically proud that you included my work in the other alliance pride day, btw. Thank you so much for that.)

Isheeta said...

having spent most of my life in a country where most books and movies are released much later than the rest of the world

I've kvetched about that enough times myself that I'm shaking my head and smiling here.

Aadisht said...

Alas, the only time I have ever exchanged emails with a creator has been with a 2000 AD cartoonist who wanted advice on Punjabi swear words. After that I never got to see the comic (apparently it had a Welsh girl and a Punjabi girl in a football team), and also lost the cartoonist's email id. Such sadness.

Aishwarya said...

Celine - How does it feel to be an international celebrity? ;)

Isheeta - Maddening, isn't it? Particularly post-internet, when you know things exist and you know you could get them at the same time as the rest of the world if you only had the money to pay for shipping.

Aadisht - That actually sounds glorious. What swearwords did you advise them to use?